What is critical thinking in college? Going from high school to college is a big step. In high school you think of a subject as one-dimensional whereas in college you look at a subject from all angles.
One article that I read was about critical thinking and blogging. This was particularly interesting because in my INQ class we are writing a blog. The articles main point was that blogs are written so freely and fun that you don’t realize you are applying critical thinking. I think this in true because in our blogs we are given a main topic and are free to answer the question how we like. When we answer questions in our blog we are asking questions and applying background information to answer the question. That is critical thinking!!
In college in order to be a good critical thinker you need to do the following.
1) Constantly ask questions. When you are unsure of something ask for clarification.
2) Keep an open mind. Do not make up your mind on an issue right away; look at it from all angles.
3) Recognize other viewpoints. Not everyone thinks the same so be open to their opinions.
4) Approach issues systematically. Collect and weigh evidence in an organized manner before making a decision on the subject.
When you think critically you become more marketable, desirable and more employers want you. Critical thinking not only takes place in college but it also takes place in life. I am glad that I went to the library in my INQ class to learn more about critical thinking. This information helped me better understand my midterm project. Lastly, it opened my eyes to how much I use critical thinking in my classes and also my day-to-day life.
Bibliography
McWhorter, K (2000). Study & Critical Thinking Skills in College. 4th ed. New York, NY: Longman.

No comments:
Post a Comment